Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Man's Best Friend

Has their even been a more accurate description of the relationship between man and dog?

It is with a very heavy heart as I type this, to say that our dog Benson passed away on Sunday night. J.Ed got him when he was just 6 weeks old, a precious husky pup, red and white and full of life. He was lucky enough to be at my in-laws(both dogs are with the grands while the house has been on the market) where he lived like a king:)

J.Ed first brought puppy Benson by his parents house when he first got him and his mom was not super happy. I mean he was in college and busy, what was he going to do with a husky.  "I will not be taking care of that dog!" she said. A selfless mom's famous last words, since the Lowe's have now kept him for two Air Force deployments, vacations, weekends we are in town(2 dogs/2 kids in tow) and now 4 months of having the house on the market. I think he went out exactly where he should have, on the bed where he once famously made a salad after opening the refrigerator door and pulling out quite a nice dinner, including a pork tenderloin that he hid under the bed for later.

What a respectful dog he was huh? He didn't force us to have to make a painful decision to let him go, he just went to sleep and didn't wake up. Don't we all wish to die so gracefully?

We are guilt ridden that he wasn't with us and hate that we put such an emotional undertaking on the Lowe's, he was their's too, but am thankful also that Robbins didn't have to see him and we were spared those tough conversations. We did tell him obviously, but to visually see it, is very different. My parents had to put my childhood dog, Angel down earlier this year at 16 which was so difficult for me, and with Benson being 13, we have been so blessed with a happy, healthy and for the most part, easy dog(s) that lived so many good years.

Dogs are interesting characters to say the least. Both of our dogs went from running the show in our house, to two kids later, a little lower on the todem pole. I know this is very normal, I mean I have seen Lady & The Tramp, but I regret not giving him more attention and wish I handeled my frustaration with his sometmes frustrating behavior better but I know he knows how much we love him, especially J.Ed. They have been through it all together. Every major transition, move and event in J.Ed's adult life, Benson has been the one thing constant. He was his roommate and friend, he filled a lot of roles for J.Ed at a critical time in his life. That dog was so smart and I am so thankful for the time the kids did get to spend with him. I am sure to non animal/dog people I sound a bit dramatic, but there really is an unexplainable relationship with you pets, especially a dog as wonderful as Benson. Thank goodness all dogs go to heaven:)

A favorite spot of his on our couch

He was really good with the kids, very patient, especially for having his tale grabbed, ear pulled or just sat on in general all the time.


He would not be happy about this one:) 


Enjoying a treat from the local feed store. He can go through a raw hide before I can even get Sophie's on the floor!  



We miss you B!! There will never be another one like you, that is for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment