Friday, May 7, 2010

I love this town!

Our neighborhood
View from our house, as a point of reference the river is usually a 1/2 mile to the right.









So after a lengthy blog hiatus, my best laid plans of posting lots of pictures, wit and profound knowledge last weekend was halted by what is now being dubbed the "1000 year flood". it started raining in Nashville on Saturday, no big deal, it has rained before, but it 13.5 inches later and a river in our neighborhood went from 70 feet wide to 2900 feet wide. This poses a particular problem since the name of my subdivision is "River Walk". It has been devastating to this community. Over 150 houses in my neighborhood have been damaged but by God's grace, and six feet of elevation all is good in the Lowe household. It's such a strange combination of relief and guilt that has set in.


I will say though, this community is incredible. I have never seen such a spirit of selflessness and generosity in my life. After being trapped in our neighborhood for 2 days with no power, it was like another flood gate opened, volunteers. Volunteers from all over the state and city;all ages, colors, tax brackets,you name it and they were there. It has been enough to make me cry a couple of times...a day. To watch someone be told that they have to start ripping out drywall, insulation, floors, get a shop vac in, dehumidify,etc., etc., my head started spinning, I can't even comprehend what they must be feeling. I talk about our neighborhood but I also must mention down town is flooded, the Opryland Hotel, the Grand Ole Opry and many other neighborhoods. My friend Shea was just able to get in her house yesterday, and in her neighborhood, like ours there are homes with water up to the 2nd story.

But with all this loss and devastation has come a great sense of pride, something that I have not really felt since leaving Auburn, that feeling of this is my town, my people, and I believe in these things and I love it! Last night Vince Gill and friends did a telethon and raised almost 2 million dollars in 3 hours. BTW, Taylor Swift gave $500,000 herself. Say what you will about her lack of ability to actually sing, at least live, but the girl is generous. I am humbled and in awe to see the way God is working to not only bring this community together but to glorify Himself in all of this, and really that's what will bring everyone out of this. Taking the time to shift the focus from ourselves to other people is the true picture and closest we will ever come to experiencing the smallest taste of the selflessness of Christ.

I will post later about how great we are, how cute Robbins is,etc. leaving out all the gory, not so great sometimes, details of everyday life. Also, if anyone out there wants to help you can go to this link http://www.wsmv.com/news/23448373/detail.html and make a donation that will stay right here in Middle Tennessee.

2 comments:

  1. i am so glad everything is okay with you and the family. josh and i have been in our own world packing...yep, we are moving this weekend. we are moving in with the 'rents! good times. anyway, glad yall are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steph, Long time, no talk to ;) Hope you are doing well. That flooding LOOKS HORRIBLE :( So sad. We're living in Jackson now and have photos that look similar to those you posted. Eeek!
    Anyway, your little man is adorable and getting so big! Look me up if you're ever coming through J town ;)
    Kristen Trezevant Reed

    ReplyDelete